Interview with an Make-up Artist : Seema Gurung
- November 19, 2017
Interview with an Make-up Artist : Seema Gurung
Seema Gurung – Born in Jhapa (Kerkha) and raised in Kathmandu , Seema Gurung was selected in numerous recording artists, music vedios, events, editorials and ad campaigns. Seema is known for her ultra-hygienic approach, understanding of beauty, trends and passion for symmetry which appeals to the likes of many artists.
Where do you get your inspiration from?
I get my inspiration from so many different things: fashion, travel, history, different cultures, plants and nature.
Who are some people that have inspired you throughout your carrer ?
I was always looking up to supermodels. Strong images of powerful women. They were, like, my superheroes.
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A MAKEUP ARTIST AND HOW DID YOU GET YOUR START IN THE INDUSTRY?
5 years, I started in Korea and trained at Academy and knee deep in fashion editorials working every job I was offered for free. It was very hard at first to find job.
WHAT DO YOU LOVE MOST ABOUT MAKE UP?
Making someone look so different. Changing people’s image to suit their mood or moment. It’s endless. The never ending boundless beauty and glamour.
IF YOU WEREN’T A MAKEUP ARTIST, WHAT ELSE WOULD YOU DO?
I don’t know how to answer this as I have never taken my mind off being a makeup artist. My focus has been a constant for most of my life. This is what I was born to do. But I was also fond of being a pilot and take a tour around the world.
HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOUR SIGNATURE LOOK AND WHAT IS IT ABOUT YOUR STYLE THAT SETS YOU APART FROM OTHER MAKEUP ARTISTS?
I like to make a face pop on the red carpet. I like to look healthy and I rarely send anyone out of my chair without careful and light, appropriate contouring. I like to dress as barbie doll with curly hair and a good eye art.
WHAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT BEAUTY ADVICE THAT YOU CAN GIVE TO WOMEN?
Invest in your mind, body and soul. Shoes come and go, but your skin needs more than a yearly check-up. Invest in a good regular facial and nurture yourself with massages and quiet rest from time to time.
WHAT ARE SOME COMMON BEAUTY MISTAKES THAT WOMEN MAKE?
I often see great dabs of shimmery bronzer . It looks great on shoots and in very specific areas but some people circle it all over and you end up looking like an orange ball. Not good! Less is more. I also see people finding hard controlling on make up and colour combination should be used systematically so it gives natural and perfect look.
WHAT PRODUCTS DO YOU THINK SHOULD BE A STAPLE IN EVERY WOMAN’S PURSE?
MAKE UP FOR EVER Aqua Shadow. In one swipe and a quick smudge you can have a soft durable smoky eye in 2 minutes. Follow with your fave mascara.
Naturally! Because you never know when plans change and these two items are small enough to take anywhere.
WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE MAKEUP BRUSH?
My fave makeup brush is actually an eyebrow brush. It’s a giant soft version of the tiny hard angled ones you usually see and it works great creating a full, luscious natural looking brow in one swipe.
WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE MAKE UP FOR EVER PRODUCT?
MAC , NAKED and CRAYON. Covers every color spectrum I have ever needed to use in my kit.
What trait do you most admire in a man or a woman?
Beautiful eyes. Any time I see beautiful eyes, they’re always, like, blue.
What is your worst nightmare?
I used to have the craziest fear of losing teeth. I would have nightmares about that all the time. But it’s the craziest thing, because I feel like that’s one of the easiest things to fix. You just get veneers or something. Haha…(laughs)
How do you feel about your career achievements?
I feel very happy as my dream of beind makeup artist changed into reality. I am also glad that I chose this path and I can make someone look different,beautiful
Do you still have, “I can’t believe this is my life,” moments?
All the time.When I find the chance to art eye and give my best shot make up.
Do you have a secret talent?
I am a balck belt of Shitoryu Karate.
Who was your first crush?
My first crush was this kid at 7 class who told me he loved make up artist. He was so charming and handsome.
What keeps you grounded?
My friends and my family because they just make fun of me all day. That’s the best. When they come over while I’m
getting they’ll just be teasing me.’ I love them.
- Damphu Ma Selo 2 | Syaji Hoi | Mings Lama Ft. Paul Shah, Sumi Moktan & Vijay Lama | Selo Song 2021
- “Haataarindai Bataasindai” magical voice and splendid music video by Sajjan Raj Vaidya
- Singer Sagun lama-2019 with his latest song ‘Maya jaal’.
- Shahas – Afno Ta Para Ni Farak Chha Ft. Pema Man Singh Tamang
- Timro Mayama by Nepal Idol season first contestant Buddha Lama’s new music video.
- Reviving an old Tharu story with a modern twist
- Kimdol, in the foothills of Swayambhunath, an abode of hippie artists, musicians, poets and writers How. A used bookstore in Kathmandu’s Jhochhen captured the spirit of the hippie movement
- Ravi Oad has became the second Nepal idol
- NABIN K. BHATTARAI TO START MUSICAL TOUR
- Pragya Lama (Sano Hamro Ghar) a film by PmstNepal has been nominated in Epic Nepal Music Award 2075.
- Dayahang Rai’s “Appa” on 7th June 2019
- SAYA – SUMMER LOVE -Nepali Movie Song by Pushpan Pradhan and Banika Pradhan Ft. Ashish Piya and Rewati Chhetri
- Releasing on 15 March movie ‘Jani Najani’, had released the posters.
- “Aankushe Maya” – New Tamang Selo 2018 By Raju Lama & Jitu Lopchan.
- Musical legends Sanjay Shrestha, Babin Pradhan, Sachin Rauniyar and Bhim Tuladhar are together with “A MANCHHE”